Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Staal [A Jordan Staal Story] Fifty-Two

I am finally done with my senior project so now I only have to worry about three super hard classes in school. YAY!!! I apologize because this chapter like the rest of them is super long. I hope you enjoy it!!! Comments are greatly appreciated. =]


Fifty-Two


"Hey Nik, you ready for your first playoff run?" Miriya asked at breakfast Monday morning.

"As ready as I`ll ever be," he said taking more bacon. "Jordan do you remember your first playoff run?"

"Yea, but it was more of a playoff drown. We lost to the Sens in five games in the first round." After pre-game naps and a light pre-game dinner it was off to the arena for the start of the playoffs. The atmosphere was just as it had been for the last eight years. There was something about the playoffs that made everyone go crazy. If you went on after the regular season it proved that you were one of the top sixteen teams in the league. The team with home ice advantage really did have the advantage with the home crowd to back them up. And once again the Penguins had home ice advantage. Fans filed into the arena each receiving a t-shirt, towel, and ice time.

The players sat in the locker room anxiously awaiting the start of the game or even just to get a taste of the fans during the pre-game skate. "Ladies and gentlemen good evening and welcome to the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Tonight game one of the Eastern Conference Quarter-Finals takes place between the Toronto Maple Leafs and your Pittsburgh Penguins," Miriya said at the start of the pre-game.

"And your Pittsburgh Penguins!" John Barbaroe said as the boys came up the runway and onto the ice as the minutes ticked down high above their heads. As the last words of anthem were sung the starting line up was announced and the puck was dropped at center ice. The Guins scored five minutes in, but it all went downhill from there. The refs were missing calls all over the place and at the end of one the Leafs were up 3-1.

The final buzzer went off and the boys headed to the locker room. Not a smile was to be seen in the home locker room and Miriya was depressed too. The team had done so well all year but something had really changed. In the second period Therrien had made changes in his lines to try and get something going but the final scored was 5-2, Leafs.

With Scott's car seat in hand Miriya made her way to the locker room. "Boys don't worry about it it's only one game. Tomorrow you need to show up to practice and be ready to work."

Shero and Therrien were just walking into the locker room as she was saying this. They had just come from their press conference; Ray looked somewhat please, but Michel on the other hand didn't. "Miriya, at least last time I checked I was coach and that's my team."

"Sorry coach."

"Nine am practice, be suited up and on the ice," he said as he walked out of the locker room.

"What's with him?" Miriya asked moving from the center of the room.

"I don`t know, he was like that before the game too," Brooksy said giving her a hug. "But what you said was right, just calm down and get back into the playoff mind set. If they ever firer Mike you'd be a great coach."

"Thanks Brooksy that's really sweet, but I don`t think it would happen."

"You never know, Therrien`s been here for a while, but if he doesn't lead up to a winning season, who knows."

After putting Scotty to bed Miriya climbed into bed next to Jordan. He breathing has slowed but she could still tell that he was upset. She was upset too and knew to give Jordan his space. She lay on he side of the bed and stared at the TV before Jordan turned it off and put the remote on the bedside table. "Nine am practice?" He asked as Miriya looked over at him. "Has he lost his mind?"

"I know baby, he's right about you needing to work. I just don`t want to have to wake up at seven to get Scotty ready and make breakfast."

"What Brooksy said was right, you would make a good coach."

"Thanks, but it wouldn't happen and I`m happy with my announcing job."

"I know baby, you always know how to make me happy."

"And how did I do that, I didn't do anything."

"Just you being here makes me happy, come here. And thank you for giving me my space."

"You're welcome," she said moving closer. They both lay on their sides and Jordan placed a gentle kiss on her lips. The kiss grew more intense as Jordan's tongue grazed Miriya's lower lip. He gathered his strength and got up to straddle her hips. His lips parted with hers and they both gasped for air. He placed a soft kiss on her cheek and made his way down her neck, for some reason his playoff beard rubbing against her neck made it more enjoyable.

Miriya's mind couldn't help but wander as Jordan continued to kiss her neck. The two of them had been sitting in the locker room about three years earlier. "You know you never treated me differently, you know in a weird way. You always treated me like a normal person, well other than when you first met me, but that was more of embarrassment. I'm glad you treat me like this."

She smiled and looked up into his eyes. "Well I`m glad you treat me the way you do. It's not that you treat me better than you would anyone else, but you treat me better than anyone else ever has."

"Well that's because I love you." His lips pressed gently against her cheek and pulled her back into reality. He placed another kiss on her cheek, her forehead, the tip of her nose, and finally her lips. His strong arms still held him above her and she ran her hands along his muscular chest and back, and then up around his neck.

At nine o'clock on the dot Therrien stepped out onto the ice. "On the line, suicides."

Miriya who sat on the bench with Scott questioned his still angry tone. "Daddy's boss isn't being very nice is he Scotty, no. Coach Michel is grumpy, yes he is, yes he is." Scott started to cry so Miriya took him to the locker room. Two hours later the boys filed into the room holding their helmets and not a smile was in sight.

"He has gone over the edge," Colby said once everyone was in the room.

"That was worse than training camp, there is no way we should have to work that hard."

"Brooks you need a hug?" Miriya asked.

"That'd be nice, and maybe a massage?"

"Sure, you know I`ll do anything for my boys. Go shower and I`ll meet you in the lounge."

The boys went to shower and Miriya handed Scott to Jordan when he was done. He gave her a hug and looked into her eyes. "Can I have a massage later?"

"Only if you give me one."

"Sounds good to me."

She went to the lounge and waited for Brooks. He came in about five minutes later in a pair of RBK track pants and a black t-shirt. "Do you mind if I take my shirt off?" he asked sitting down on the couch in front of her.

"No it's cool," she said and then he pulled his shirt over his head. She ran her hands down his back and her touch sent shivers down his spine She placed her hands on his shoulders and began to work her back down his back.

When she had finished her turned to face her, "I love you Miriya," he said kissing her on the cheek.

"Love you too Brooks," she wrapped her arms around him and rested her head on his bare shoulder.

"Jordan is so lucky to have you, you're sweet and beautiful. You are one of my best friends and I love you." She lifted her head and looked into his Caribbean ice blue eyes. He kissed her lips, and only for a second, but it was enough for Colby who had just walked in to see.

"Oh sorry," he said hurrying out of the lounge and back into the locker room. "Jay you know Miriya is in the other room kissing Brooksy?"

"Yea, wait KISSING BROOKSY?!?!"

"Yea, don`t know if it's something like the Kris thing, but I walked in to get a bottle of water and they were kissing."

The whole ride home neither of them said anything to each other. When they got home Scott had fallen asleep so Jordan lay him in his crib. "Miriya were you kissing Brooksy?" he asked walking out of Scott's bedroom.

"Yes but-"

"No buts, you kissed another man."

"Baby please, it was just a friendly kiss. It wasn't even like when I kiss Kris. He was just telling me how lucky you are to have me." She tried to hug him but he pushed her away. "Baby please." Tears came to her eyes and she fell to her knees as she heard the front door close. After a while she managed to get up using the wall for support and pulled her cell phone from her pocket.

"Hey Miriya, what's up?"

"Brooksy I need you to come over. I tried telling Jordan that what happened this afternoon was nothing but he wouldn't listen to me. I need you to talk to him when he gets back," she said with tears still in her eyes.

"I`ll be over as soon as I can." No more than fifteen minutes later he was at the door and wrapped his arms around Miriya's tiny figure. He sat down on the couch and she went to take care of Scott. It started to get later and Jordan still wasn't home. Brooks took care of Scott while Miriya made dinner for the two but them, but she ate alone at the island in the kitchen.

Scott's bedtime came and Miriya placed him gently in his crib before going to her own bed. At eight forty-five the front door opened and a still very upset Jordan Staal came in. "Jordan we need to talk?"

"About what, how you kissed my wife?!"

"Gronk I felt nothing. I was just telling her how lucky you are to have her. Jordan, she loves you man, she's been with you for almost eight years. She birthed your child. She doesn’t love me as more than a friend and she loves you more than anything in the world. Please, go make up with your wife."

Jordan walked into the bedroom where he found Miriya watching something on TV. "Baby can we talk?" She didn't reply, she just turned off the TV, and looked in his direction. "I just talked to Brooksy and he explained the whole thing. I blew the whole thing way out of proportion. I`m sorry, do you think that you could forgive me?" She nodded and crawled to the edge of the bed. He picked her up and kissed her as she wrapped her legs around his waist. "I`m so sorry baby," he said between kisses.

"Me too." They made their way to the bed and within seconds all of their clothes were off and scattered around the room. He ran his hands along her sides while she ran hers down his back and grabbed his ass. With nothing to stop them they enjoyed themselves for a few hours. She placed one last kiss on Jordan's cheek before falling to the bed beside him.

He put his arms around her and breathed deeply, "I don`t think I could ever stay made at you."

"Yea, you'd miss this," she straddled his hips and pressed her lips hard against his.

"You're right," he said pulling away. "But I think you would miss this." He grabbed the cross that hung from her neck and puller her closer…if that was possible. He started kissing her neck, gently at first and then got rough. A small moan escaped her lips and Jordan's couldn't help but smile.

"Morning Nik," Miriya said walking into the kitchen.

"Do you think you guys could have been any louder last night?"

"Sorry," Miriya said with a smile and looking over at Jordan.

"What time did you get home last night?"

"Around ten."

"Oh, you weren't here for the worst of it," Miriya said with a smile as she sat down on a stool at the island.

"Oh boy, I can only imagine."

"Hey watch it," Jordan said jokingly. "That's my wife."

Breakfast, morning skate, and pre-game naps passed. Everyone suited up in the locker room and anxiously awaited the start of game two. They went out and played hard, but not hard enough. Within in the first five minutes of the first period there had been ten different line combinations. Early in the second there was a line that was working well together and had played together during the regular season. They scored the Guins lone goal of the night, but on the next shift they were broken up.

The Leafs skated away with a 3-1 win and a two games to none lead in the series. The Guins on the other hand went to the locker room with their heads hung. They all seemed to be prepared for what lie ahead, Therrien`s post game speech. They all sat silently at their stalls shedding their gear as Therrien made is way to the center of the room.

"What the hell boys!" the room silent and no on moved. "Did the practice yesterday do nothing? We are not going to be swept in this series, you boys are better than that. Tomorrow as soon as we get to Toronto it's to the arena, three hour practice. We will NOT be going to the hotel first. It's straight to the arena where you will suit up and be on the ice."

The boys finished taking their gear off in silence. They showered and started to leave as the equipment staff started packing up. Geno went up behind Cassie who was throwing bags into the middle of the floor. She turned to face him and put her arms around his neck. He pulled her as close as possible, she was seven months pregnant. "Baby you coming home?"

"I need to stay and help pack. I`ll have Dana give me a ride home."

"Okay babe, I`ll probably be asleep when you get home. I love you."

"Love you too, bye babe." She kissed him and tried to walk away, but Geno grabbed her hand and pulled her close again. After kissing her deeply he looked into her beautiful brown eyes.

"Bye," he said and walked to the door.

Practice the next day was long and hard, they practice the whole three hours. The only time they were allowed to stop was to get a drink or when they were in line for a drill. They boys filed tiredly into the away locker room when practice ended and again sat silently in their stalls.

When they finally got to the hotel everyone threw their bags on the floor and fell asleep. Game three came as another loss, Therrien made his post-game speech, and the next day there was another intense practice.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen, we're here in Toronto for game four. The Leafs have a three games to none lead and can clinch the series tonight."

Down in the locker room however things were not as calm. As usual the boys sat at their stalls, suited up and silent. The pre-game skate was minutes away and they looked nervous.

"Boys get out there and play hard. You have skills to beat them. Play physical, but don`t take dumb penalties. If this all ends tonight you played a great season this year and there's always next year. Now get out there and kick some Leafs' ass!" Miriya said over the phone.

They stepped out onto the ice as the Toronto crowd cheered on the home team. Somehow the boys had gained confidence and looked ready to play. "We stand on guard for thee!" The Toronto singer stepped off the ice and the boys lined up for the opening face-off. The game was intense and with forty-five seconds left the face-off was in the Leafs zone and the game was tied at two.

"Staal takes the face-off, pulled back to Ryan Whitney. Whitney gives it to Kennedy, puts it in front… MAX TALBOT SHOOT AND SCORES! There's thirty-four point three seconds left in regulation and the Guins have taken the lead," Miriya said trying to contain her excitement. "It's going back to Pittsburgh, Max Talbot preserved the Penguins playoff dreams with his goal with just over thirty seconds left. Game five is in Pittsburgh Wednesday night at seven oh eight."

Wednesday everyone was at the arena for the game day skate. "Hey Miriya what would you say if I offered you a coaching job?" Ray asked walking up to her on the bench.

"I would first have to ask you why, then for what team, and then I would have to talk it over with Jordan, Bourquey and the rest of the team. Then maybe I`d tell you yes."

"Well to answer your first question of why, because I think that you would make a good coach and you have the skills. Now, for what team, you're looking at 'em. You would start during training camp next season. So you better go discuss this with your husband and everyone else."

"Are you fucking serious, you want me to coach the Pittsburgh Penguins?" He smiled and nodded and she wrapped her arms around him. "I`ll get back to you."

He left and headed to his office while Miriya still stood on the bench trying to catch her breath. "Jordan!" he turned to face her. "I need to talk to you in the locker room."

All of the guys stood out on the ice asking each other what she could need to talk to him about as she skated to the runway. "What's up?" he asked sitting down at his stall.

"Baby, I was offered a coaching job."

"Oh my God, are you serious?" he asked standing up and giving her a hug. "You've only been announcing for two years and they offered you a coaching job? I love you baby," he pressed his lips to hers and she couldn't help but smile.

"But the thing is, I don’t know if I`m going to take it," she paused and Jordan's smile faded. "I mean I`m only going to be twenty-four and I have an amazing job."

"Baby I know that announcing is your dream, but I can tell that you're really excited about this job. But it's not my decision, it's your`s."

"Thanks, but I want you to be part of the decision."

"I will back you up on whatever you do, whether it be stick with announcing or take the coaching job."

"Thanks baby, now get out on the ice and don`t tell the boys, I wanna tell 'em,"

"Alright coach," he said and kissed her cheek. He made his way back to the ice and she slowly made her way to the commentator's box where Bourquey was getting ready for that night's game.

"Hey Bourquey, you know anyone who wants an announcing job?"

"Yea actually, why?"

"I was offered a coaching job."

"That's great Staalsy, are you gonna take it?"

"I`m not sure, I still need to discuss it with the boys, if they`re not okay with it then I`m not taking it."

"Well I guess they're the deciding factor," he paused and looked down at the ice. "Looks like they're headed to the locker room, go catch 'em."

"Thanks Bourquey," she said, hugged him and ran down to the locker room. She stood in the doorway until Therrien was done talking about the plan for that night's game. As soon as he stepped out of the room all of the guys started talking and Miriya made her way to the center of the room, being very careful not to step on the Penguin.

"Guys shut up!" Jordan said from his stall.

"Boys what do you think about getting a new coach?" Miriya asked and the room went silent. "What do you think about having me as a coach?"

3 comments:

haleys_famous_ said...

whoaaa!
that was something new. [:
lovedd itt.
cant wait to see what you can bring to the table.
it sucks the boys hit a rough spot like that.
and i just love scotty.<3

Anonymous said...

AHHHH!
i hope she takes it!
what an amazing opportunity!

Lauren said...

I loved the part with Nik the next morning at breakfast! :)