Saturday, June 7, 2008

Staal [A Jordan Staal Story] Twenty-four

Friday Miriya didn’t have class so she took her bag of clothes and other necessities for the road trip with her to practice that morning. As usual the team worked on drills for every situation five on five, five on four, five on three, four on four, three on three. After practice was over everyone showered, got on the bus after signing autographs, and went to Buffalo.

Miriya and Jordan were sitting in the back of the bus as usual, Sid and Michelle near the middle, and Geno and Cassie were near the front.

“I’m gonna go talk to Colby and some of the other guys for a while, I’ll be back. I’ll tell Michelle and Cassie to come back.”

“Okay, I love you.”

“I love you too,” Jordan said and kissed Miriya gently on the cheek before going to the front of the bus.

Cassie and Micelle came back and sat in the two empty seats next to Miriya. “Some good times in Buffalo,” Michelle said.

“Oh yeah, I love their arena,” Cassie said.

"Me too," Michelle said and continued to eat her grapefruit.

“I`m so hungry,” Miriya said. “But that`s nothing new.

“You want some?” Michelle offered her some grapefruit.

“No I don`t like grapefruit, but thanks.”

“Well I love my grapefruit.”

“Michelle I think the whole team knows how much you love grapefruit,” Miriya said with a smile.

In the front of the bus Jordan sat with Colby, Sid, Geno, and Marc. “So you gonna do it tomorrow, you gonna ask?” Geno asked.

“Yeah, still don’t know how I’m gonna do it, other than at the Falls.”

“Maybe Sid could give you some advice since he’s already been through it,” Marc said. “Well then again so have Army and I but not for awhile,. Sid did it what, like a week ago?”

“Sid?” Jordan asked, turning towards Sidney.

“Uh,really I don’t know what to tell you man. You’ll be nervous, but just be yourself and hope she says yes.”

“Thanks guys, I’ll talk to you later,” He said after discussing the matter for a bit longer.

“Hey baby.”

“Hey, you guys having a fun bus ride?” Jordan asked sarcastically.

“Oh yeah,” Miriya said with a smile. “So what were you guys talking about?”

“Stuff for the game tomorrow.”

“Oh okay, so you know how long until we get to Buffalo?”

“About two more hours I would guess.”

“Okay, then I’m gonna take a nap.”

“Okay, sweet dreams,” Jordan said as Cassie got out of his seat. He sat down and went to kiss Miriya on the cheek, but she turned her head and their lips meet.

“Gronk break it up,” Colby said from the seat next to them.

“Okay, again sweet dreams.” He kissed her on the cheek, she put her head down on his shoulder, and was soon asleep.

***

A few hours later the bus pulled up to the hotel in Buffalo and since they had practice before they left Pittsburgh they arrived around four. At around six the normal group went to dinner then they walked around downtown Buffalo for a while.

“I’m cold,” Cassie said after they had been outside for about an hour.

“That’s what you get for just wearing a hoodie,” Miriya said as Jordan pulled her closer.

“You’re just wearing a hoodie.”

“Yeah but I’m not cold,” she smiled, she had the warmth of both her hoodie and Jordan's embrace.

“Come here baby,” Geno said, sliding his hand from Cassie's, bringing his arm around her and puller her closer. “Better?”

“Much, thank you baby,” She said with a smile.

“You girls are coming to the morning skate right?” Colby asked a few moments later to break the silence.

“Pretty sure, why?” Michelle asked.

“Just wondering,” He said and quickly glanced at Jordan.

When they arrived back to the hotel it was around ten-thirty and everyone went straight to their rooms.

The next morning everyone got up and went to the arena for the morning skate; it was short and they just worked on simple stuff. Since they hadn’t changed the lines combinations all year everyone was working well together, so they didn’t have much to work on.

Jordan was the last person off the ice, everyone else was off to whatever their pre-game routine was when he was just getting into the shower. Miriya waited for him at the stall he was using for the night in the away locker room.

“You wanna go for a walk?” Jordan asked pulling his warm winter hat onto his hear, making sure that all of his hair was covered.

“Sure, Miriya said standing up and grabbing Jordan’s hand.

They walked for quite while, not really noticing how far they were going, just enjoying each other's company. Most of the time was spent in silence, a comfortable silence and soon they found themselves at the Falls. Once they arrived their they looked off and began to talk about stuff for that night’s game.

“The Falls are so beautiful,” Miriya said with a smile

“Beautiful like you,” Jordan said and kissed her cheek.

“I remember the first time we were here together,” Miriya said turning to face Jordan.
“I do too; the outdoor game was so much fun,” he placed his hands on her shoulders and turned her so that she was facing the Falls and his back was resting against the fence.

“Well every game’s been fun both home and away.”

“I’m glad you’ve come on so many road trips with the team and I think you’ve been to every home game since we started dating.”

"I’m pretty sure it’s been everyone,” She said with a smile.

“You know I’m so glad that I walked into BC that first day that we met. From that day I knew there was something special about you, you were so special that, that night I went and got three points. That was the best season up to that point.”

“But that was only your second year,” Miriya said with a smile.

“Well what I’m trying to say is that you changed my life and you’re everything to me. I love you with all my heart and want to spend the rest of my life with you.”

He held her left hand, got down on one knee and pulled a small box from his pocket. “Miriya Lauryl, will you marry me?”

“Yes Jordan, I will marry you,” She said as a tear rolled down her cheek.

Jordan brought her into a hug and held her close, her head resting against his chest. He went to release her from the hug but held her at arms length and placed a kiss on the tip of her nose and then a soft kiss on her lips.

“Aww,” was heard from behind her, it sounded like there was at least thirty people. Cassie, Michelle and the entire team were behind her.

“Aww tough girl can cry,” Colby said with a smile.

“You know what!” Miriya said starting toward Colby, but Jordan held her back.

Jordan wiped a tear from Miriya’s cheek, slid the ring on her finger and pressed his lips gently against hers. When he pulled away he kissed her cheek. “I love you.”

“I love you too, thanks guys.”

Miriya and Jordan walked over to the team and everyone hugged and congratulated them both.
“Congrats Gronk, congrats Shorty,” Colby said when they got to him.

“Thanks Army, you’re a really great friend. Thanks for everything,” Miriya said.

“You’re welcome; these past couple of years have been great. What can I say you’re my best friend’s girlfriend.”

“Fiancee now,” Miriya said with a smile. “I like the sound of that.”

“I do too,” Jordan said then kissed her on the cheek. “Soon you’ll be Mrs. Miriya Staal.”
Miriya smiled, “ I really like the sound of that.”

Jordan pulled her closer then hugged her again. Michelle and Cassie had waited their turn and finally came up to Miriya to gave her a hug.

“Congrats Memo, I’m glad I was here to see it,” Cassie said with a smile.

“Me too I’m happy for you,” Michelle added.

“Did you two know about this?” Miriya asked.

“Yeah everyone knew,” Jordan said and put his arm back around her.

“Well all I can say it that the team is really good at keeping secrets,” Miriya said with a laugh.

“Yes they are and I’m glad,” Jordan said.

“I am too, I’m glad that it was a surprise,” Miriya said before Jordan kissed her again.

No comments: